Sometimes we want to whip up something in a jiffy and we always want it to be nourishing. Golden Porridge is one such breakfast recipe that can be made quickly instead of resorting to ready to eat cereals. Hearty and nourishing, it satiates and it builds immunity. A wonderful dish for pregnant, elderly and the recuperating, filled with the goodness of nature’s gifts.
- 100 ml Milk (1 cup)
- 100 ml Soya Milk (1 cup)
- 20 grams Oats (3 tablespoons)
- 2-3 numbers Pepper corns Crushed
- 1 numbers Cardamom Powdered
- 2 tbsp Sugar or Honey (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Garden-cress seeds (Aaliv) soaked for 7-10 minutes in water
- Almond slivers and raisins for garnish Optional
- Mix milk, Soya milk, slightly crushed peppercorns, cardamom powder, turmeric powder in a cooking pan
- Add the slightly roasted oats and cook on low flame for 5 minutes, stirring it
- Add the honey/sugar and stir
- Add the soaked garden-cress, crushed cornflakes, milk masala (if using)
- When it thickens put off the flame, check for sweetness, adjust it to taste
- Pour out into a bowl, garnished with almond slivers and raisins.
- This recipe has milk and soya milk which is contributes good quality proteins
- Oats are a healthy source of carbohydrates and fibre
- It has the health promoting benefits of Turmeric.
- Turmeric is one of the most common herbal spice used in the Indian kitchen since ancient times, besides imparting a pleasant colour and distinct aroma this wonder spice contains “curcuminoids”, the most active anti -inflammatory, antioxidant and immunity boosting being “curcumin”.
- It is also linked to improved brain and neuronal function, besides warding off common colds and cough.
- Addition of pepper helps in the absorption of the active compounds of turmeric since pepper contains “piperine” which aids absorption.
- Holds the goodness of Garden Cress seeds (called halim or aliv)
- Garden-cress seeds are a natural source of bio-available iron which can prevent anaemia by improving the haemoglobin status
- They are a rich source of phyto-chemicals, fibre and protein, and improve gut health.
- Since garden-cress have good amount of essential fats they are very good memory boosters.